Monday, February 25, 2008

Who's afraid of the rain? by Susan



So yesterday I ran in the Brea 8K Classic, which is a 5 mile course around and near the Brea Mall. I was excited about the race because I was was really looking forward to getting back out there, yet I was dreading it because I had not run in a race since July 4, 2007 and it was raining - more like drizzling, but it was still wet.  I had never run in the rain before and I wasn't sure how to handle it.  Do I wear the same clothes I would normally wear?  Will it be harder for me to breathe?  Plus, I always get nervous before a race.  No matter how much I train before, I NEVER feel physically prepared enough.  However, I had already previewed the course and I knew the one big hill from Kraemer to Lambert.  My goal was to complete the course in 45:00, even though I completed  practice runs in 48:00 - 49:00.  

In the end, I felt pretty good about it all. I wasn't gasping for air and I ran the whole way.  I probably could have run a lot harder, though.  I think I'm always afraid of pushing myself too hard and then not pooping out early and not being able to run the whole thing.  I feel like a failure if I walk.  I did have to run the last two miles without my iPOD due to a wardrobe malfunction and I didn't particularly like hearing myself breathe.  I did get a boost from the Brea Olinda High School Drum Line.  Brings back good memories.  My legs were tingly for about the first twenty minutes, but I ran the whole way regardless.  I crossed the finish line at 46:19, looking like someone from a very un-sexy wet t-shirt contest, in my white work-out top (thanks, Nick) and white, cut-off tank-top, but luckily I had a black long-sleeve shirt to go over my clothes (thanks, Auntie Oakley) and I think wearing mittens really helped.   I got to start the race off with my sister-in-law Sarah and my dad even came to watch!  

Click here to see some professional pictures of me in this event: 

No comments:

Upcoming events

  • November 23 - J.T.'s 8th Birthday
  • December 5 - School Spelling Bee (come cheer J.T. on!!)