Five years ago today, our little baby girl, Eden, was born!!! She was born at 2:03am on May 5, 2003.
We lived in Corona at the time and I remember waking up with labor pains around 7:30am on a Sunday morning, May 4. I had contractions pretty much all day. I remember talking on the phone to one of my oldest and closest friends, Christie, around noon and having to pause every once in a while to get through a contraction. I remember trying to take a nap around 2ish on the inflatable air bed in what was to be Eden's room and not getting a good sleep. I remember going to the bathroom and seeing my mucus plug sink to the bottom of the toilet (sorry, squeamish people!) . I remember my parents coming over for dinner around 7:00pm with food from Tommy's hamburgers and I ate a really messy chili dog. The contractions really started to get regular at that time, so we all had to leave and head back over to Orange County because we were going to deliver at St. Jude hospital in Fullerton. We dropped J.T. off at Noel and Julie's house and I remember sitting in one of their bar stools and having contractions while Julie took pictures. Then my water broke. It wasn't like a gushing, where your pants are sopping wet, like you would think, but it was like sitting on an egg, but that egg is full of water.
We went to St. Jude's hospital around 9pm. This is the same hospital that J.T. was born at. This is also the same hospital that my brother, Jason, and I were born at. This is the same hospital that Nick and his sister, Sarah, were born at. Good place to be!!! I remember not planning on getting an epidural, but I changed my mind when I realized that Eden was a full-term baby, born only two days before her due date and probably over 7 lbs (as opposed to J.T.'s pre-term, 5lb birth) and I wasn't sure if I would be able to push her out. J.T. practically slipped out. Now, I regret having the epidural because I think I could have delivered her without, but hindsight is always 20/20. I remember that I was really glad that my obstetrician, Dr. Henderson, was there to deliver. The doctor who delivered J.T. was a total witch.
After a few hours of contractions, she finally came out at 2:03am. She was born in the middle of the night on Cinco de Mayo. Does this explain her personality??? I think so!!! She weighed 7lbs, 3oz and measured 18.5 inches long. Nick took a video of the whole thing, but I don't think we've even watched it yet. Both my mom, Julie, and Sarah stuck around and one of the first ones to hold her. They looked like they'd been sleeping in the waiting room.
She was a pretty good baby, sleeping through the night around 4 months and eating a lot (much like today). Today, she is an independent, assertive, silly, intelligent, creative, free-wheeling, daring young lady. She hams it up for the camera. She likes to ride her scooter...in high heels. She has been called "spunky," "feisty," and "spirited". When she dances, she shakes her booty. She likes to draw pictures of cats and horses. She likes to do somersaults on the couch and isn't scared to climb to the top of the rope in gymnastics class. She likes to sing worship songs at the top of her lungs while riding her bike! She likes to eat salad instead of cake. She cracks me up. She makes me cry. She is difficult. She is everything I want to be. She is my daughter!!! I love you, Eden!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment