So last week we celebrated TV Turn-Off Week! What does that mean exactly?? It is the one week of the year that I (Susan) dread. Not because of not being able to watch TV, but it's the one week of the year that I have to get up in front of the whole school (165 students and some parents) and do a silly skit promoting and encouraging the students to participate in TV Turn-Off Week, which means I have to convince them to give-up TV, movies, computer games, and video games for one whole week!! I actually get booed!!
Now, last year it was a lot easier because I did the skits with the fabulous Mrs. Dunn (the former librarian, now kindergarten teacher), but this year she said I was on my own. Just let me say that Mrs. Dunn and I are polar opposites. I love her to death and I greatly admire her because she is hilarious and silly and totally willing to do crazy stuff. She lives to get up on stage and be the drama queen and I really would rather crawl up into a ball and hide in a corner. She was the one who, from her own blog, inspired me to start this blog!! Needless to say, I survived. I did have a two-day reprive, however, since Thursday was National Day of Prayer and Friday I was away at a seminar. So really, it was only three days of having to get up there, but they were three agonizing days. I think I get a temporary ulcer this time of year.
Day 1: Nick, J.T. and I dressed up as superheroes. We had a script. Nick was a really good sport and we told really bad jokes. Nick had to wear sweatpants over his Batman costume because it was too tight. J.T. did a great job with his one-line too, "Holy Playstation, does that mean no computer games, either?" Did you know Batgirl was a librarian by day?
Day 2: I played "When the saints go marching in" on my saxophone. I had to dust the old thing off after it being tucked away in my parents house for 13 years.
Day 3: Made bite-size brownies as a reward for those who made it thus far. Each day I tried to make simple, practical suggestions for things to do: bake with your family, read the newspaper, play board games, go to the batting cages, play a musical instrument, etc. and I really practiced what I preached. We did do a lot of fun stuff last week instead of watching TV: J.T. and I made a model dinosaur, we made some pom-pom animals, we baked cupcakes for Eden's birthday party, Nick and the kids flew a model rocket, spent an evening playing around with my saxophone, the kids had a playdate at a friend's house (thanks, Gaukler family!!), went to the school play, for Family Fun Friday the family came to watch my soccer game instead of watching a movie, and we did a bunch of other fun things.
So, I am proud to say our whole family survived TV Turn-Off Week!!! Even though we normally don't watch TV during the week, it was a little difficult at times. Our neighbor let us borrow some new XBOX games that taunted us from the shelf. Even at my parents house, where the TV is constantly on, my parents turned it off when they babysat. Nick and I were really good at not watching our own grown-up shows at night, not wanting to set a bad example for the kids. Ironically enough, last night, when we went to watch the shows that supposedly had been recorded on our DVR, we found out that the DVR was off all last week and none of our shows were recorded. Ha!!
No comments:
Post a Comment