Yeah, I'll BET that got your attention. You know, as I am preparing to write yet another witty entry into our blog I can't help but notice that most of the funny things that happen to us have to do with JT. I wonder why that is, because you would THINK that Eden, and all of her personality, would carry the brunt of the stories. But, apparently, you'd be wrong.
Ok, so on with the pasties, I mean details. The other day we were all heading home after school. I had picked the family up at school on my way from work so we were all together in the car. Out of nowhere, which seems to be the MO for JT, JT asks, "Can you keep secrets from your parents?" In my head, I'm saying "Of course, you CAN keep secrets, but you shouldn't." Sensing that he had more to say but was afraid and/or embarrassed to say it, I approached the conversation very carefully. I said "Well, its very important for us all to be honest with each other. We want to be able to trust you no matter what and we also want you to trust us. Also, your mom and I, want you to know that you can tell us anything, even if you think we might be upset...." etc etc, you get the point. "Some kids at school were talking about being naked and then I went on the computer and I saw pictures." JT said quite sheepishly. "I see." said I. Now my mind was reeling!! Who is involved, did this just happen, are the kids in school talking about porn and naked girls, are there older kids involved? Aw man, now we were going to have to tell the teachers that there is a problem on campus and then all of these other parents are going to get involved and a bunch of kids are going to get busted...."Lets talk about this when we get home, ok JT?" I replied, not wanting Eden to hear all the really bad things that were going to be said.
So, we get home, do our homework, have dinner, etc. Then when it was getting close to bed time I sent Eden upstairs and Susan, JT and I sat on the couch together. I was seriously freaking out at this point and I was really disappointed that JT had already discovered the Pr0n at such an early age!! I started by telling JT that he was NOT in trouble and that we were really glad that he was being honest and open with us. Then it got WORSE! JT started telling us a story about a kindergartener that came out of the bathroom naked with another boy!!! WTF?! (Turns out the other boy was there because the kids have to go to the bathroom with partner and the other boy wasnt IN the stall with the first boy, he was closing his eyes so he wouldnt see anything!) Then JT starts in on a story about some boys (I won't name names) that kept talking about "naked girls" and their "boobs" and commenting on size, etc. And, so, JT being the ever curious one, decided that the next time he was at his Lola's house (his other grandma) he would do some research to find out what they were talking about. Not knowing what to search for, or really, HOW to search. He types in "naked girls" in the address bar. At this point, Susan is really trying to stifle a laugh. She had her head buried and I could see her body shaking with the laughter. At first I thought she was crying hysterically. But not me, I maintained my composure. JT continued "I typed in "naked girls" and then a picture came up on the screen. The website said that I had to be 18 to continue so I tried to press cancel and then the pictures kept popping up!" He was so precious at this point and I could tell that it really scared him and he probably freaked out because of all of the pictures that kept popping up.
Well, at this point I was a bit relieved but still a bit upset that the kids were doing this. I asked JT if this happened over the weekend and he said no. Then I asked if it happened recently, and he said No. "Did this happen once?" "Yes" Hmmm, "Well, JT, when DID this happend." "Ummmm, first grade." FIRST GRADE!!!!!???
HOLY CRAP!! First grade! For crying out loud that was last year! And not only that, but the boy in the bathroom? Yeah, COMPLETELY unrelated! That story, DID happen recently but it was not tied to the porn story AT ALL! Oh man, oh man, you can imagine our relief! This was the whole point of putting him a private Christian school...to keep them away from this stuff!!!
So, in closing, we told him that we loved him and really appreciated his honesty and were glad that he felt that he could tell us the story. We also wanted him to know that he shouldn't wait A FREAKING YEAR to tell us something but that he could tell me, Susan, Susan and I, teachers, anything. Then we prayed together.
I think that we really handled it well and it could have gone horribly wrong with us slamming a door in his face that would lead to him never trust us again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Upcoming events
- November 23 - J.T.'s 8th Birthday
- December 5 - School Spelling Bee (come cheer J.T. on!!)
1 comment:
good job dad!! your way ahead of most dad's teaching their kids about respect and honesty and sex....
Post a Comment